Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day, USA (Network), and My First and Final Trip to Hawaii

I hope everyone had a great Father's Day! We had a luau for my dad! It was lots of fun and we created a new "water ride" in the pool. Float + Waterfall = Amazing Fun. We finished the day with finishing the first season of Veronica Mars and the first episode of season 2. I never would've thought a few weeks ago that my dad would CHOOSE to watch Veronica Mars ever, let alone on Father's Day!

So, I'm drawing a blank on what to talk about... I guess I had a little too much fun in the sun yesterday! My brain is fried!

What did everyone think of the new USA show Graceland? Gwith and I still need to watch last week's episode, but I was a little uncertain about the pilot. It felt a bit slow and none of the actors captivated me. I guess Jeff Eastin couldn't get lucky enough to land another Matthew Bomer. Does anyone else just get lost in Matt Bomer's amazing charisma?!? He just bounces off the screen in White Collar. I didn't really feel that with the first episode of Graceland, especially not with Vanessa Ferlitaz. I think she had one expression the entire pilot. However, I learned a long time ago to never judge a show by it's pilot. If I did that, I would rarely find a show to continue watching! The writers are finding the voice and feel of the show, the actors have yet to find the soul to their parts, and the film crew is normally experimenting. So I'm willing to give it another shot and I'm hoping it really improves.

Since I'm on the topic of USA shows, who else cannot wait for the new season of Covert Affairs?! I just finished catching up on last season and I'm so excited for Annie and Auggie. I've been routing for them since season 1. Although, I must admit, Eyal and Annie are also not a bad pairing... But my heart is still with her and Auggie. On another note though, what do you think is in the file? What kind of dirt has been dug up on the agency? The new season of Covert Affairs begins July 16th on USA.

Back to Father's Day. Because my parents have yet to decorate their backyard (or house in general), it was quite easy to go to Party City and do up the backyard in a luau theme! Of course, because it looked so great, my parents now want to decorate their backyard with year round Polynesian decor. I personally love this idea because a decorated backyard is as close to Hawaii as I'll ever get. Why, you ask? Because I'm allergic to Hawaii. That's right.

Cut to Flashback:

I am 14 years old and traveling with my sister and mom for a girls vacation to Hawaii. We get off the plane and are in the taxi to the hotel.

Me: "Wow. I love Hawaii! I could live here!"

A few hours later, my unidentified allergies begin to erupt. I take Benadryl for my impaired breathing and we get ready to go on a submarine ride.

My mom: "Going further in the water should help your allergies Justine."

Now we're on the boat taking us to the submarine and we're half way there.

Me: "Mom!! I feel like I can't breath. I'm getting worse!" I begin gasping for air.

The boat with us and every other person paying for the submarine ride has to turn around and return me to land. We arrive back at the hotel.

Lady at the front desk: "My allergies always act up around the volcanic ash."

Shit. Volcanic ash? That would get worse as we head towards the water, wouldn't it? After this discovery, I didn't leave the hotel the rest of the trip.

Jump forward to the plane ride home:

Me: "Mom, I'm still having breathing issues." I continue gasping for air.

Flight attendant: "Is there a doctor on the plane!?!?!"

Cut back to present blog:

And that folks is why I will never ever return to Hawaii again and never visit other highly volcanic areas of the world. Unless of course, I want to become a Benadryl addict, in which guess, I suppose it'd be the perfect spot. But alas, I do not.

It's a shame I can't visit there because Hawaii really was beautiful! But hopefully my parents can bring a little Hawaii to their backyard!



2 comments: