Friday, June 21, 2013

Do I Look 12 to You?

Today I woke up and when I looked in the mirror I thought, "Hey! I think I'm finally starting to look older! I feel like I finally look 16 instead of 14." Now, keep in mind that I'm clearly old enough to be married for almost two years now, so neither of those are anywhere near my age. I was feeling really proud of this! Then tonight after leaving dinner, my family was waiting for the car and we started talking to these people. We asked them how the food was, which they said was great, and my dad said (and pointed at me), "My daughter's husband is the sous chef here!" Their response: "Wow! You're married? Isn't 12 a little too young to be married?" Aw man. And here I was so proud that I thought I finally looked at least 16. I admit, I'm a little disappointed. But at least they thought I was the daughter... Which is better than when my older sister (at 18) was being told she looked 12 and then another person thought she was married to our dad! Ew. Gross.

I hate how some people treat me when they think I'm younger than I am! I went to Nordstroms at Topanga today to buy some new shoes and the saleswoman acted like I was a major burden. When I said I needed help, she tried passing me off to another salesman who denied me and passed me back. Clearly I'm a ping pong ball. I didn't know what shoe I wanted exactly and I just wanted her to bring out a selection in my size that had a slight heel. I used to do this all the time at the Nordstroms in Denver and everyone was always so helpful! Even when I didn't ask for a selection, they'd find some extras for me to try on. I really appreciated that service; especially since I have complicated feet! When I decided on the shoe I wanted, she asked, "can I take any of these other ones to the back?" I said "Yes, all of them." She responded with a gasp and snarky "All of them?!?" And by the way, there were maybe only 6 other pairs there that I tried on. I didn't realize trying on shoes was such a big problem with shoes salesman! If I didn't have such complex feet, I'd just order online after that service! And if Nordstroms wasn't my only option for my size 4.5-5 foot, I'd choose to go elsewhere after today's service. The funny thing is, this woman asked my sister if she needed help. Clearly she thought I was younger and a waste of time. Thanks Nordstroms for your outstanding customer service today! It made my day complete!

So that's my rant for today on ageism and Nordstroms.

On the agenda tonight: Now that we had an amazing dinner at The Local Peasant, with my husband's yummy special, we're going to catch up on the last two episodes of Mad Men so we're all ready for Sunday's finale! What do you think is going to happen in the finale? Is Megan going to die? I actually like her and think she's one of the few fun characters on the show so I'd be sad if that happens. Then again, anything that makes the show more interesting is fine by me. I think her death would create an interesting arc for Don!

Have you ever been treated badly at a store or judged for your age (whether or not it is your actual age)? Do you like Mad Men? Do you like Megan or want her to die?

And here's my weekly picture from dinner! My yummy strawberry salad special!


1 comment:

  1. Having just ventured into Barney's -- dressed up in my bestest Eileen Fisher casual look BUT wearing my trust merrils (we walk in NYC people!) -- I think it is worse when they look you up and down and decide you aren't hip enough to be shopping there.

    ReplyDelete